Sunday, August 29, 2010

Arum - A Reshelling Project

The first doll I bought was a Goodreau OzDottie.

The pictures on the site looked quite good and I didn't understand at the time the fact that a vinyl American made doll was such a bad thing when entering the doll community. (Ironically, the OzDottie has all ball joints, unlike the older Goodreau's which had some hinge joints.)

I placed Arum on layaway with DDE but didn't wait out the entire layaway to pay her off. I ordered her in Feburary 2009 and spent an ugly six months waiting for her to arrive, which she finally did in September, at which time I had 6 dolls which I had ordered and paid for after her. (I was kept uninformed of delays in making and shipping her, unfortunately.)

When the day I received her finally came, I was a little disappointed. The only thing that looked like what I was expecting was the outfit. The wig was different, her faceup was different and even aspects of her face was different.

I suppose they just did a great job on the photos, but I couldn't help a sense of disappointment.

Also, due to some interest stringing, Arum was unable to stand properly without a lot effort and often had to have a leg 'propping' her up.

One of the first things LillyKitten and I did was complete my 2009 Goodreau to her 2008... We agreed quickly that Sabine, the 2008, looked to have a better shaped body than Arum, and although all of Arum's joints are "proper" for a BJD and Sabine's weren't.



Almost immediately I decided that Arum would have to be a cabinent baby due to the fact she had trouble standing and her legs were actually different lengths. I dressed her in an Indollgence outfit and she made a very nice Gothic Lolita. She went to one dollmeet - and for my dolls, most of whom I will take to every doll meet, except if they have no clothes (and Arum definitely had clothes) and then spent the rest of her time sitting in a room.

A little while ago LillyKitten told me that she was planning on selling her Goodreau, Sabine. Although Sabine had a good life and was taken many places, she had problems with the stringing and LillyKitten felt the constraints of having an "OFFTOPIC" doll.

This placed in my mind the idea of reshelling my Arum, who I had never been really happy with and had always had a sense of disappointment in, especially after waiting so long for her.

So I began to look around for a possible doll to reshell her into. I had a look into SoulDoll and wandered across other MSD options before realising that I was not really restricted to an MSD size... I found my reshelled girl very quickly after that.

An SD Dollzone Clovera. I love the expression and after seeing a girl in the flesh, was definitely sure that this is what I will reshell Arum into. I won't use the same faceup, its not dark enough for what I want, and since Dollzone offer three faceups for this darling girl (the fullset one and two more, one called B and one called C).
Arum will get the faceup B, which will make her look a little bit more like a gothic lolita. I almost got her faceup C, but the lips are too light!
 I spent a good amount of last night looking for some appropriate SD sized Gothic Loli outfits for her. The outfit Arum MKI is wearing is being sold with her, and it is too small!
LillyKitten put me in the way of Alice's Collections and from there Arum MKII now has a dress, socks, a petticoat and shoes and on the same night she was ordered...

So now the wait begins for my Arum MKII.....

2 comments:

  1. I almost bought a Clovera but the size scared me lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ironic thing, lol - I'm getting a tan Stranomium (can never remember how to spell it) and she is 62cm or something - she will probably take over the 'Arum' name...

    I have no problems with SDs and above, unless I have to carry them for long periods, lol.

    ReplyDelete

The Slow-down: 2016-2019

Wow. I used to collect a lot, and now, I don't do a lot of collecting at all. My collection has slowed to a crawl - some of it is prob...